Sunday, June 08, 2008

Movies that take place in Congress

I am tainted forever. I assume a lot of people are this way when they see their profession performed up on the big screen. I really have a hard time enjoying movies that take place in Congress or have anything to do with how Congress operates because i find myself nit-picking every little thing and my mind can't help but recognize when something is totally wrong or wouldn't be done a certain way.
For example - I watched Evan Almighty over the weekend.
Evan is a freshman Congressman newly elected from New York. He arrives on the Hill - and parks in his assigned parking spot on the West Lawn of the Capitol Building. He enters the building to greetings of "Goodmorning Congressman Baxter" from everyone he passes. He enters his palatial office and meets his Congressional staff for the first time. Apparently he only knows his office manager (Wanda Sikes - who is really funny) and his COS - Although he identifies his title as "Legislative Assistant" but I have NEVER met an LA over 40 and this guy looks like he is at least 45....
A few minutes later the LA carries in a 2 foot stack of paper - a bill he says - that the Senior Member from Wherever wants him to "Junior Co-sponsor" and he expects Evan to READ the entire bill over the weekend!! HA HA HA!!! This is too funny! Everything about this is ALL wrong and therefore taints my viewing experience.
Becides nit-picking my way through the movie i really did enjoy it - quite cheesy with a very strong pro-environmental bend - but it wasn't a bad way to waste an afternoon.

No comments: