Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Additional Thoughts about VT

I watched the memorial service while at work yesterday. I knew that when I couldn't stop crying while trying to dry my hair before coming to work that I should have stayed home.

The memorial service was very moving but i have to say, the thing that keeps getting to me is looking out my window at the flag flying over the Capitol at half-staff.

that is what really makes it real for me.

this is just such a horrible thing. I am heartbroken over this. My beloved university was defiled and will never be the same again.

I will never feel the same way about the university as i did when i woke up Monday morning. Everything has changed.

All i want to do is be there in blacksburg with other hokies...

I saw a few people at the gym last night wearing VT shirts... I imagine they are feeling the same way as I am. Although I didn't know anyone there it is still devastating.

I can already tell that what is really going to piss me off about this is that people will forget those who were murdered and injured and will only focus on the "controversy" of why the students weren't notified to stay off campus after the first shooting.

WBAL's water cooler question of the day this morning was, "in light of the incident at VT, have your views on gun laws changed?" - What a stupid question.

I do believe in a right to bear arms, and apparently this kid did everything legit and by the book. Changing the gun laws in VA or nationally won't prevent this type of thing from happening again. Although I do support an assault weapons ban, something like that would not have had any impact on this situation.

The only thing that will prevent this from happening again, is people paying attention to their friends and acquaintances, and if something seems off - TELL SOMEONE! The media is reporting that this murderer had all of the classic signs of someone capable of doing this and yet no one intervened. Apparently a former teacher recommended he go to counseling but it seems nothing came of it.

That's it for now. Work starts soon. I am sure I will have more to say later.

No comments: